The Houston Gulf Coast Alarm Association (HGCAA) recommends that consumers take the following steps BEFORE selecting a systems contractor:
- Check to see if the contractor is a member of HGCAA. Associations members agree to maintain a high level of conduct under a Code of Ethics and render services at the highest level of quality.
- Call several companies. Ask them if their employees are trained and/or certified by the TBFAA.
- Ask the companies if they have appropriate state and/or local licenses, if required. Some sort of license will be required for any company that provides these services in Texas.
- Ask the companies if they conduct any pre-employment screening.
- Contact your local police department’s Crime Prevention Department, state licensing agencies, Consumer Protection Agencies, and the Better Business Bureau.
- Ask your insurance agent, friends, family or neighbors for referrals.
- After you’ve narrowed the field to three or four alarm companies, ask for the name of the person who will call on you. It is best to plan the appointment time when all those involved in the decision are present.
- When he/she visits, ask to see some company identification.
- Ask each alarm company representative for an inspection, recommendation and a quote in writing. Use a checklist to compare different packages and price quotes.